Saturday, October 18, 2008

Saturday musings...


Today I’ve been out of the house for approximately 90 minutes, and the rest of my time has been spent lounging (read: being useless) around my apartment in true Saturday style. I don’t care that Monday was a holiday and that this was a ‘short’ week, I’m exhausted.

So while I sit around in my housecoat finding humorous things on Google Image, I’m obviously setting up my own little soundtrack, which I will now be sharing with you. Because I’m nice like that / because I feel like a deadweight and this will count as my contribution to society for today.

First off – last night I went to see The Dark Side of Oz, which –for those of you who haven’t heard of it is a synchronization of The Wizard of Oz and Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side of the Moon. The combination of these two absolutely groundbreaking productions is a work of genius, and I was so enchanted that this morning I managed to hunt down the album on vinyl for $5 (hence my only outing of the day). Perfect.

BUT. Let’s not kid ourselves, folks: while listening to classic albums on vinyl is incredible, it’s far from relaxing. The constant getting up to flip the darned thing, meticulously ensuring that you’re not scratching your new baby... And since lazy is today’s theme, I turned to my trusty digital music collection and my new friend Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson, who I could listen to without having to exert myself.

Here’s the scoop: he’s 25, from Oregon, and his eponymous album was recorded with Chris Taylor of Grizzly Bear fame. Crafted from sweat and tears following Mile's stint at rock-bottom, MBAR is a remarkable compilation of incredibly honest lyrics that move slowly alongside lazy folk melodies. Don't get me wrong, this is not an easy listen - it's a pretty intense package. The Debtor speaks of loneliness, with chilling lines such as “I’m not sure that I want to stay alive, it’s so expensive” and Buriedfed romanticizes the notion of untimely death. One of my favourites is Boneindian, which boasts what I consider to be the most beautiful melody on the album.

Finally, to salvage my sanity and escape from the gloominess that was developping, I turned to my latest obsession, the new Land of Talk album. If you still haven’t heard about this sweet Canadian band, I highly recommend you get on it.

Happy weekend!

Xo

Pink Floyd – Us and Them

Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson – The Debtor

Land of Talk – Some are Lakes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was psyched when TPC was the first Canadian band to get signed to Saddle creek and double psyched when Land of talk was the first hometown quebecois band to be signed to the creek. Fantastic tunes.

G.R.O. said...

Hey Brige, really enjoyed your post, superbly written and very entertaining. MBAR is a real find, reminds me of a mixture of some of my favourite folk albums of the year, Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, Conor Oberst et al. Great work!

sought said...

look here i6b04s0j45 buy replica bags replica nappy bags z2t09h7g54 replica bags in china replica hermes bags r1d79m4q68 replica bags forum replica bags in gaffar market try this website k3e02q7h30 louis vuitton replica bags neverfull