Friday, October 10, 2008

Friday Fast-Fix: Terry Lynn


Because it's turkey weekend and I'm pressed for time, this week's Friday Five will be demoted to a single artist. Lucky for you, it's an effing amazing one.

Terry Lynn is socially conscious, angry and undoubtedly tough. Her MySpace photos boast a variety of firearm glamourshots, and her aggressive lyrics are wrapped in a heavy Jamaican accent. I only have one word to describe her sound: powerful.

With her debut Kingstonlogic 2.0, this Last Gang prodigy raises awareness of her country's social issues with intensity and riddim. Her first-person accounts of life in Jamaica's most impoverished regions add substance to her art, taking her way beyond the usual dancehall sound.

If I had more time, I would love to tell you more. But I don't, nor do I think you'll need much convincing.

Move over, MIA.

No comments: