Thursday, January 10, 2008

I Swore to Kill Every Last One

The Mars Volta are one of the first bands that I absolutely fell in love with upon first listen. I remember I was sitting on a plane on my way back from Italy and my friend handed me their then-recently-released De-Loused In The Comatorium. By the end of Intertiatic E.S.P, all I wanted to do was run up and down the aisles screaming, "NOW I'M LOST. NOW I'M LOST."

Classic moment. De-Loused is definitely one of my favorite concept albums of all-time and even though their second full-length, Frances the Mute, does not reach such a standard, it is a brilliant prog-rock album that will rock throughout the ages.

Amputechture? I don't want to talk about Amputechture.

Now the former members of At the Drive-In are set to release their forth full-length album entitled The Bedlam in Goliath and it definitely has been set up as their return to a more instrument based spacey sound, and not just "we did lots of acid and thought the ambient noise on the moons of Jupiter were fucking rad" sound. The first track released, Wax Simulacra, cuts out all the fluff that surrounded much of the Volta's previous albums and hits right to the point with great effect. The music is as hard-hitting as it was on De-loused and Cedric's lyrics and vocals keep the same ethereal sound scape that they are known for.

The album is set to be released on Jan 29th and they have put up a website with a puzzle that supposedly gives away details about the background concept for the album.

Welcome back to Earth boys.

[MP3] Wax Simularcra - Mars Volta

[MP3] Goliath - Mars Volta


[Video] Aberinkula - Mars Volta


Cheers,
MF Blaz

No comments: