Monday, September 03, 2007

Shut Up I Was Dreaming


When I first heard of Spencer Krug's other band (not Wolf Parade, Frog Eyes or superstar project Swan Lake), Sunset Rubdown, I merely expected it fill the gap until Wolf Parade's next release - however, that was almost two years ago. Sunset Rubdown released one of my favourite albums of 2006 with Shut Up I Am Dreaming and are poised to do it again with Random Spirit Lover, this October. Their sound is a touch more subdued but at the same time heaps more manic than Wolf Parade, accredited largely to Krug's contrasting songwriting and singing styles. I've always thought that a lot of Wolf Parade's rocking out came in the songs by other singer, Dan Boeckner - who shows his other side musically through minimalism in the Handsome Furs.

Despite great live reviews, I've yet to see Sunset Rubdown on stage, however reports show them touring this October with a stop in Victoria, BC - my new home as of the middle of September - so I recommend all to check them out. Random Spirit Lover is out October 9 on Jagjaguwar. Here are two of my favourite tracks off the recently leaked album - but it's unquestionably buy-worthy in this critic's opinion. These show off both the urgency and melancholy moods Krug has succeeded in creating with this band. Enjoy.

Sunset Rubdown - The Mending of the Gown
Sunset Rubdown - For The Pier (And Dead Shimmering)

-A.W.

No comments: