Friday, March 30, 2007

More of Everything

Although I'm always quick to embrace an excellent new single, I'm really a connoisseur of the quintessential quality album at heart. It's no wonder then that I'm a huge Band of Horses fan. Ben Bridwell and Mat Brooke were responsible for one of my favourite albums of 2006: Everything All The Time. I loved every single track; 'Funeral' and 'The Great Salt Lake' especially were in heavy rotation throughout the year.
Well, the boys will be back in the studio after completing their current tour and plan to release their sophomore album later this year. Nothing new has made its way onto the Interweb yet, but as tracks become available Bridging the Atlantic will be among the first to let you know. For now, I've managed to scrounge up a few BOH rarities you may not have heard. The live studio cuts of 'Wicked Gil' and 'I Lost My Dingle On The Red Line' are pensive and charming; this version of 'Wicked Gil' drastically differs from the album as it seems about 30% slower and 80% sadder. 'The End's Not Near' is a typical instantly catchy, irresistably relistenable Band of Horses track that feels like it would have fit perfectly in the middle section of Everything All The Time.
I've heard from a variety of sources that Bridwell purposely applied layers of effects to his vocals on EATT as he was not confident in his vocal skills. However, his voice comes through clean on these tracks and he really needn't have worried - it's excellent. I'm very much looking forward to seeing them here in London on May 22nd.

Band of Horses - Funeral (Original Version)
Band of Horses - Wicked Gil (Alternate Version)
Band of Horses - I Lost My Dingle On The Red Line
Band of Horses - The End's Not Near

-Andrew M

No comments: