Friday, April 20, 2007

Springin' Forward

I guess Ottawa deserved one last fight with winter after the short one we had, but finally its April 18th and actually feels like it. Blue sky, light breeze...you can't beat the sigh of relief that is spring. And with spring comes a whole bunch of songs that will no doubt go on to soundtrack the upcoming summer. Here are a couple that I know will be in high rotation for the months to come.


A friend of mine told me that Dan Deacon is set to be the new Wesley Willis (RIP), but I see way more potential here than in songs about rock and roll McDonalds and ratnest mullets - no offense Wesley, you were too brilliant. The Crystal Cat is by far the most accessible track I've heard by Deacon: It caught me with its pounding kick drum and electronic chords but only takes off from there. The build up of vocals (both clean and vocoder-ed) and a simple key change make the song really soar and super catchy. Wham City is a stunner clocking in at over 12 minutes, but it changes enough and grows to make those minutes fly by. If you can get past the super high pitched vocoder squeals and chaotic electronics, I think Dan Deacon's got a lot to offer. His album, Spiderman of the Rings is due out May 8th on Carpark Records and Dan is set to rock Ottawa on July 10 at Zaphods, obvi.

Dan Deacon - The Crystal Cat(zShare)
Dan Deacon - Wham City (zShare)

I dont think many new Bloc Party songs are going to make my summer mixes, but I just found this gem by Ed Banger, SebastiAn, remixing the mediocre MTV ditty, I Still Remember. It starts with synth chords reminiscent of The Who but SebastiAn quickly adds in his signature forceful 'banging' rhythm, sweeping sounds and darker tone. Maybe its not the bright summery song we want in the summer, but its a party track for sure. I can only hope that he uses this track during his set when he opens for Daft Punk (with Kavinsky and The Rapture) this summer.

Bloc Party - I Still Remember (SebastiAn remix) (zShare)

In other Ottawa news, Kanye West is playing Bluesfest this summer.

-Enjoy, Andrew W.

No comments: