Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Join the Club


What a weekend. This was Reading at its best: perfect weather, amazing bands, and more epic performances than you can shake a stick at. Highlights included Arcade Fire playing into a dazzling sunset on the main stage Saturday night, Crystal Castles drawing a crowd approximately twice the capacity of the Dance Arena, and the CSS/LCD Soundsystem/Klaxons triple play festival closer they blew everyone's fucking minds. And as would be expected with any music festival of this calibre, I discovered a whole bunch of new favourite bands that I didn't even know existed. I'll be sure to share them with you in the weeks to come, but for now it's time to talk about the band that opened the festival, and opened my eyes to how many amazing British bands are coming out of the woodwork this year.

I'd heard of Bombay Bicycle Club before - hell, the restaurant they're named after is just down the road from me and they've been legends in Camden for almost a year - but seeing them live sealed the deal. I could go on and on about these guys, but it's best if you just go here and here and check out the songs below.

Bombay Bicycle Club - Open House
Bombay Bicycle Club - Sixteen
Bombay Bicycle Club - Cancel On Me

- a.m.p.m.